Mid-Life Unfolds

Life Unfolds - Dedicated to "Attracting What's Next in Mid-Life and Beyond!" Have you reached mid-life or beyond and are you wondering what is next? Life Unfolds provides business and personal coaching and training to help you thrive while answering the what nexts. We specialize in helping mid-lifers achieve their dreams, change careers, retire happily and to thrive through transitions. More information can be found at http://www.lifeunfolds.com.



Sunday, April 30, 2006

Are Happiness and Work Truly Compatible?

This week I had lunch with an old work friend. He's wondering what is next in his life, career-wise and asked how I had come to change careers. As you may know I was in the computer biz for more than twenty years before becoming a coach. I started out as a programmer and ended up my long career as a vice-president (aka CIO) of technology.

It's startling to many, and to me as well, that my workdays are exciting and filled with joy. On the days I teach my workshops, I wake up with the excitement of a little kid on Christmas morning. I can't wait to get there. I'm buzzing, it feels so good. When I'm teaching or coaching, time just stops. I simply do not notice the passing of time and am usually surprised when I look up from writing my newsletter or writing articles and several hours have passed.

What this brought up for me was that while I had heard that when you live your passion, your work time can be exciting, fun, joyous, etc., I didn't truly know what that meant. In my early computer career days, I loved what I was doing. I was a programmer, than a systems analyst, then a project manager, doing highly technical work and really enjoyed it. I liked the company I worked with and totally enjoyed my teammates. Or at least I thought I did!

Afte I found my own life purpose and began living it through my career as a coach and workshop leader, I discovered how weak that happiness so many years ago was compared to what I feel now. It's a huge, life changing difference.

This is the main reason, I have such a thrill and so much passion around my clients' finding their true calling or life purpose and pursuing it. It will make a larger difference in one's daily life than you can currently imagine. The words you hear about it are just a pale version of the real thing.
My old friend is right on the brink of pursuing his passion. He is very clear on what it is. When we spoke, he glowed when he talked about it. His face was filled with light and his body with energy. Now we're going to visualize and imagine what form it can take as a career. He's about to step out and be counted. I hope he is as blown away as I am with how much passion it will bring him.

All blog content is copyrighted, all rights reserved, Mary Anne Fields and Life Unfolds, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home