Mid-Life Unfolds

Life Unfolds - Dedicated to "Attracting What's Next in Mid-Life and Beyond!" Have you reached mid-life or beyond and are you wondering what is next? Life Unfolds provides business and personal coaching and training to help you thrive while answering the what nexts. We specialize in helping mid-lifers achieve their dreams, change careers, retire happily and to thrive through transitions. More information can be found at http://www.lifeunfolds.com.



Monday, May 15, 2006

Take Back Your Life - No TV

We are currently running an experiment in our home...no television. We cancelled our satellite service and do not have an antenna, so we have no television viewing in our home right now.

I have not watched much television in several years, but my husband uses television as a way to relax and unwind. He loves the sports, the Sopranos and the financial talk shows. We've been exploring ways to have more personal connection, and also to generally spend our time more productively. You know spend our time meditating and exercising and cooking together. Things we say we don't have time for. It was his idea (and yes, I was shocked) to turn off the television.

Not having the television doesn't have much impact on me, but it's huge for my husband. So what has he discovered since we haven't had the television as an escape?

  • We can talk to one another for an entire evening with no distractions.
  • It takes a few days to stop thinking about TV.
  • We have time to do chores in the evenings.
  • We have been to two movies together and enjoyed both.
  • We have more than enough time to meditate AND walk each evening if we so choose.
  • We've managed to fill the weekends with both work and play and more of it together.
  • TV is a crutch. We used it to escape from boredom, exhaustion, conflict, etc.
  • We are laughing more.
  • TV watching is a habit. Most of us turn it on even when we're not really interested in what is on the TV.
  • Basically, with no television, he has about 20 to 25 extra hours a week to do whatever he likes. And, I have about 4 extra hours a week.
  • I didn't think I watched much TV, but I actually had a habit of eating my lunch in front of the TV and occasionally watching a movie on the weekend on TV.

I challenge you to measure how much time you actually watch television and/or to just turn it off. See how your life changes for the better. See how much more life you have!

Please let me know what you think about this article. Was it helpful? Comments can be added below.



All blog content is copyrighted, all rights reserved, Mary Anne Fields and Life Unfolds, 2006

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mary Anne,

This challenge is brilliant! With the coming warm weather months ahead of us, who wants to be stuck in front of the TV? Not me!

In the Spring and Summer, I love to get outdoors and be with my family. We enjoy hiking, biking and camping. It's truly magnificent to rediscover the joys of being with the people you love.

As I read this post it leads me to think of how I tend to relate to my family differently in the winter months as opposed to the summertime.

Since I am not much of a TV watcher, I tend to spend more time up in my office in the house and work on creating products and writing. During that time, the family has had a habit of watching TV.

I never realized it but that was usually a turn off for me. Now I know that I can offer some new alternatives and be willing to compromise a bit more. That way I get to spend more time with the people I love and doing so will have a delightful ripple effect on every aspect of my life.

Mary Anne, Thank you for sharing your experience and for offering everyone this wonderful insight!

Warmest regards,

Andrea

8:34 PM  
Blogger lifeunfolds.com said...

Thanks so much for your comment. We found the same thing. While I didn't watch much TV, my husband did. So that meant he was downstairs watching TV and I was upstairs working or playing. The TV was creating a situation where we didn't spend much time together. We are still without TV!

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary Anne,
we have a rule in our house: watch tv while fixing meals, but then put on music while eating them. The music may be Dishnet 900 series channels or Sirius, or cd's or tapes or records. Outside of compelling special programs I generally dont have time to watch tv. Too many of my own projects and activities! Dave

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home